View Single Post
Old 20th May 2017
Lives for gear

The flattest mic would add the least amount of coloration to the captured sound, meaning it would (theoretically) sound the most true to the acoustic sound it captures. Sometimes that will give you the desired result, sometimes it will not.
The more room-natural acoustic kindof sound you want, and the less HIFI hyped thrilling pop-music-ish, the flatter mic you could use.
But if you want hyped HIFI thrilling pop-music-ish vocals, go with colored mics, like Manley Reference LMC, AT4033 etc.

I've tried very flat mics, recently the SE Electronics RN17 for example, which has an amazingly flat curve. It certainly sounds flat, in the sense of a movie film or book feeling 'flat'. Musically, it doesn't have much of 'a soul', it doesn't 'say' anything, it has no voice of its own, it offers little more than capturing the sound, and a huge SPL range. Strong words perhaps, but coming straight unfiltered from within 'the zone', that's a bit what I felt. Though I respect the craftsmanship to be second to none. Making flat mics probably isn't easy.

A flat frequency response isn't all there is to it. Sometimes that curve refers to the membrane itself, but you also have other factors which affect the sound noticeably, like the capsule which resonates more at certain frequencies and volume levels than others, and the amplification circuit in condenser mics etc.

In my years, I have come to feel that a mic that gives me what I wish to get, right out of the cable so to speak, is better than capturing something first and adjusting it later, to become something like the first example sounds right out of the cable. It's not only that the latter approach seems to add an additional step in the process, but I've come to believe that more often than not the end result also ends up sounding ... with a bit more natural, self-evident quality to it. Somehow, things seems to get that way when you enrich/add on to an already limited bandwidth recording, rather than dull down/subtract from a wide bandwidth recording.

Last edited by Sk106; 20th May 2017 at 11:50 AM..