View Single Post
Old 17th May 2017
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynn Fuston View Post
Someone commented to me today, after looking down the page at the Mic Shootout files, and said "Why is it that all microphones look alike?"

This is the mic I usually point to when people ask that question: the Gefell UM900. Of course, it's not really as ubiquitous as a U87 or a C12 now is it?

Well, it's like asking why "most" doorways look alike - it's because of the shape of humans - a reference to the film Forbidden Planet as the Krell had triangular shaped doorways - sorry for the strange digression.

"Most" microphones like alike for practical reasons - then occasionally designers step outside that.

I went through a phase of buying Blues mics, I had a KIWI and a Bottle system and whilst they did look cool I ended up not caring for their sound and sold them, so looks aren't everything.

But sure, instruments should be inspiring and I think my Wunder CM7 looks very classy and iconic as well as sounding sublime.

I think the new Redd mic looks fab too, as does a Bock 251 - mics are pretty sexy looking items when you think about it!