View Single Post
Old 11th March 2017
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cozmik Prod. View Post
I still think it can be done, with a bit of 'paradigm stretching' ... I've seen crazier things happening.
Basically this is what my partner and I do. We make "tracks" for people. Our main clients have generally been film companies, ad agencies, production companies, labels, Broadway shows etc. In other words, people with money with a NEED. It is incredibly competitive - as I said earlier, it is a buyers market. Big-time clients can -and do- lowball at every opportunity, and in the end, you know someone took that job at a loss hoping it would lead to 'more'. More losses!

We are constantly trying to streamline our process to get our costs down, and open it up to, for example, singer-songwriters who need a 'band'. "Stretching"! Unfortunately, these tend to be people without money with a WANT If you think the corporate clients are stingy! And there is only so much you can do by 'working smarter'. Plus, Artists are even worse than Suits when it comes to 'add ons' and 're-dos' and all the other stuff that comes with the expectation of custom work. The client 'attending' either in person or via videoconferencing is My Nightmare! - Exactly the kind of thing that works against the "streamlining" of the process. IMHO, there is much less wiggle room for a profit here than some may think.

And yet, running the numbers and understanding how to do the work is the easy part. Finding the customers is where it's at. Face it, the people who are good at that part are ones who will succeed. Not the best musicians, or the nicest studio. Or even the leanest operation.

Really the paradigm is Contracting. I think you could advertise this kind of service without assembling your team and without owning a studio, and just wait for a client... and as soon as you had the money, with a minimum of scrambling, you could assemble whatever band and book whatever studio. Because all the musicians and all the studios are hungry.

My guess is that some smart guy who creates a viable "middleman" app - ala Uber - will be the person making all the money. Just like Uber drivers, the studios and musicians will be screwing themselves over for a piece of an ever-shrinking pie.