View Single Post
Old 10th March 2017
Lives for gear

I'll only speak for LA on this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by igormink View Post
Well, I think that maybe lot of studios have the equipment but it is expensive to record on it. Also, if you are in LA or in NY maybe finding those studios isn't a problem, but I guess you can't find Studers c37, J37, Telefunkens... on every step and in great working condition.
Really not a problem.
Quote:
On the other hand I had to make lot of contacts finding the right people for my projects (and Croatia has great many clasical players), so I imagine how much effort one person has to put to find good studio, right musicians and with the questionable result.
I think (unless it is a monitored session) your work would be a questionable result. Being in person for the record session will always be preferred.
Quote:
This way I would offer the recording and you don't have to pay it until you are sattisfied. And you don't have to move from your house
I would not suggest this. You will lose money (and get a lot of angry players.) You can't leave things open-ended. Have you worked with writers and producers.. they will take as much as they can.

The big point about going overseas (and we do to places like Bratislava all the time on monitored sessions (source-connect)) is that we have to deal with musician union payouts here in Los Angeles. A single payment trumps long-term payouts.That's the benefit of going elsewhere with session players. I don't know how you will cost things but going by our standards on a 3 hour session, I'd assign a value to a player and assume you get 5-7 usable minutes of music per hour so if someone wants 14 violinists for a 5 minute piece of playing: 14 * player rate/hour * 1 hour to get what to charge them. And I would never (no offense) want your mix. You're the tracking engineer (even if printing to tape which would be an upcharge for time and materials) not the mix engineer. You will have no idea what the mix needs to be in the end.