thread: SMPTE/MTC Sync?
View Single Post
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

If you're using tape machines, you're always looking to sync everything to it. The machine control may come from a central unit or the computer, but everything hooks in to the tape unit.

All the transfers I've always done, be it to Umatic, DA-88/98, DAT or digital VCR-like devices(VMOD for example), we've always slaved the audio machine to the most unstable source. And that's always a mechanical device like the tape machines.

The Fairlights varisped their playback in the most precise manner. I know it's hardly possible with a DAW, but syncing to external timecode delivered by LTC, VITC, MTC, SMPTE, Bi-Phase or networked rewire connections will be a very big plus for Reaper in the future.

Btw, Reaper may find a universal use for simple laybacks to Digibeta, HD tape and perhaps even Dolbymod(if it functions as a dubber well enough) if you give it timecode in/out capabilities.

I'd certainly love to see Reaper being a high performance dubber. But for that it needs to be able to sort out machine control input and run from timecode.