View Single Post
Old 23rd November 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR10 View Post
To what extent do you follow grammar rules while writing lyrics? (in English).
Personally I think it's important to write how people speak. So you can say something like "I ain't got nobody" which isn't grammatically correct but sounds natural because it's something that people would say in real life. But if english isn't your first language it might be hard to get a feel for how you can break the rules in a way that sounds natural.

Quote:
"You're good, don't deny." - English grammar requires "it" after "deny". But I'd prefer "don't deny" without "it", as it rhymes with the next line.
Do people in everyday life conversations omit "it" in such a sentence?
That sounds strange to me.

Quote:
"She thanks for life." - Can I leave this line this way?
The verb "to thank someone for sth" requires saying whom she thanks, right?
That one sounds even stranger. In both examples, you're missing an object for your verb. Deny what? Thanks who? Those are both transitive verbs which require an object in order to make sense.

Quote:
In my lyrics I use a word "always", stressing the 2nd syllable instead of putting the accent on the 1st syllable. Shouldn't I worry about it?
I personally don't like it when singers do that, but it can sometimes work, especially if you're doing it to intentionally sound awkward. But little details like that tend to make it obvious that english isn't your first language. Which can sometimes sound cool and even be charming if that's what you're going for.