View Single Post
Old 12th November 2016
Gear Maniac

Big Thanks for the effort to the thread starter!

My conclusion is, don't spend your precious money on overpriced, overestimated, over-reviewed and over-advertised stuff.

At the risk of being accused of unauthorized exorcism, I would like to quote a statement, a part of it, that I found on analogrules.com. You can go there for details and check it for yourself. You will find the entire statement under GAS (Gear Acquisition Syndrome). It goes like this:

“I've talked with hundreds of Studio Owners, most are searching for some sort of special equipment or console or tape recorder that will magically make the sound of the studio better, fatter and more like the sound of the Records and CD's they like and love. They sell off great sounding gear to buy something else.... which usually sounds pretty much the same as the gear they sold. They obsess about tube gear, the perfect mic, the perfect preamp.

What you don't realize is that you most likely already have better sounding equipment than we had in the 70's, 80's and 90's. Most mic pres these days are terrific - quiet, accurate, very functional. ...

So once you have good basic Pro gear, STOP BUYING STUFF, if you can't make a great sounding recording with a bunch of SM57's, you won't be able to do much better with expensive tube mics and rare Neumanns... If you think your recordings don't sound great because you don't have the 'right' equipment - once you have good basic gear - you're using a poor excuse.... usually for lack of real talent and skill. “