thread: NINJAM!
View Single Post
Old 10th April 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Frankel View Post
In NINJAM, the clock rates of everybody jamming are synchronized (initially by a metronome, but once things get going, the drummer usually ends up being enough to follow as long as his or its tempo is constant).

NINJAM relies on the fact that for many styles of music, once people are playing at the same rate, it doesn't really matter if you're playing with the current measure or the last measure (A measure may be a musical measure, or some multiple of one). So if Alice and Bob are NINJAMming together, and Alice is playing her "measure 5", Bob might be playing his "measure 5" along with Alice's "measure 4", and vice versa...

We call this "faketime", since it feels a lot like realtime, but it isn't dependent on any network/audio device/audio codec latencies.

The main downside is that it is very tough to play arranged songs, because every person hears a slightly different arrangement (Bob plays his measure 5 with Alice's measure 4, whereas Alice hears Bob's measure 5 when she's playing her measure 6, etc), so synchronizing changes isn't really realistic.

But it's good for jamming and experimenting...
After reading about online jamming systems for a few years I figured the only way you could really have anything reasonable would be a system like this...

I was just checking out a realtime jamming utility and there was a little proviso something like, "At the current time, due to network latency issues, only musicans a few miles from each other will be able to jam together in real time..." and I was thinking, "At the current time..."? What, are you guys trying to get the laws of physics repealed?

Yet another one (Lightspeed) was cagey about how they were approaching it but their promo material (for the eventually payfor service) was saying things like, Jam in realtime with your friends on other continents...

I pinged a few sites in New York (I'm in LA) and the round trip latency was around 100 ms... not exactly a do-able latency...

I'll check this out.