View Single Post
Old 7th July 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parzival View Post
Hi Michal,

Well, I've always been used to a physical control, and having it only digitally controllable seems so dangerous, haha.
My speakers are always at the same volume and I'm afraid that something will crash (or otherwise change) and reset the mixer (and destroy my ears).
I see, but I think, it's just matter of habit.. I've worked with quite a few devices with digitally controlled volume controls and never have any issues with that. Similarly with RME devices, if physical outputs are assigned to main volume control, levels were always correctly recalled upon power-up. Also as the interface is completely functional standalone (kinda like digital mixer), it doesn't rely on TotalMix software to store the level value.. it's happening inside of box.
Similarly, your concern with software issue (eg. DAW or plugin crashes and produce some noise burst or repeated buffer with high-pitched patter) doesn't make any problem, because all that happens in computer, before signal goes to hardware DSP with volume control.. so this signal can't really go with full blast at unity level to your monitors.

Only thing, which I always do regardless of used interface or mixer, is proper startup sequence - eg. source first, then monitors..
I don't remember how exactly is at UCX, but some devices has anti-thump circuit, which switches off main outputs until device is fully powered, so it can avoid usual power-on pop, but mentioned powering order makes it is safe regardless of used device or particular line outputs feeding your monitors.

Of course, you can add some additional analog monitor controller, but I definitely wouldn't do that just for better feel, digitally controlled monitor is naturally free of any low level tracking issues and outputs has always constant output impedance to monitors. If more tactile control will be a nice thing to have for you, then I would consider RME ARC.. which is multifunctional controller, that can be used with UCX.. again, although you can set it via TotalMix software, controls works directly with interface.

Michal