View Single Post
Old 26th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by fromthepuggle View Post
I'm curious, which Doepfers did you sell for which more interesting units, and why?
Some of it was just getting rid of what I wasn't using. For ex, I sold a clock divider, clock sequencer switch type module, ring modulator, because it wasn't really in my workflow at the time. Plus, the Basic System comes with a full case. You have to sell something (or just take it out) to use something else.

Eventually, after a long time, I sold my Doepfer VCO's and Filters because I found others that were more appealing to me in terms of sound, size, etc. I think the Doepfer stuff sounds great, but for me, it was a little too plain vanilla in comparison to some stuff Harvestman, Make Noise and Livewire was making at the time.

Like I said, at the time, Doepfer was a great entry point for me. I don't regret it at all. Plus, I didn't have a store near me to try out a modular and get feedback from other owners. I figured the Basic System would have everything I needed to start out. Nowadays, there are so many other options. If I was starting out now, I would get a skiff and get some modules I really identify with. That's not to say Doepfer isn't still amazing. Another reason I think they are great for beginners is because they are relatively simple modules. In contrast, while Make Noise Maths is an EPIC module due to the fact that it can do SO many things, if you are a beginner, it may take a long time before you can wrap your head around everything it does.