View Single Post
Old 21st April 2016 | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso View Post
Yes.
Serge is all banana connectivity, where almost any signal can go anywhere (audio or modulation). Buchla separates audio from voltages by using banana and tini-jax (similar to mini-jack).
Serge still employs a lot of subtractive ideas (analog oscillators and resonant low pass filters). Buchla is more about complex modulation, often with minimal or no use of standard low pass filters.
Yes, I remember asking Don if the low pass gates could 'do resonance' if you patched up a feedback loop and he replied that he didn't know as he'd never tried. Coming from East coast tradition at the time that completely blew my mind.

On the other hand I think Serge is even more low level than traditional subtractive ideas. Like using single voltage ramps and pulses to do stuff (sound, modulation etc). Also I find I use lots of non-octave sub-oscillation: entraining one oscillator to another and going up and down through the sub-harmonics (sometimes at audio rates). That's not at all like standard VCOs -> mixer -> VCF -> VCA synthesis.

Another big East vs West difference is headroom. West Coast often sounds more acoustic, whereas East Coast sounds more like a rock guitar because the signals are often at different levels within the dynamic range. I think the 'Moog sound' is often warmed by being close to or over the saturation point, whereas many West coast patches have a more delicate, plucked, tapped or strummed sound because of where you are in terms of levels. Doesn't have to be that way, of course, but in practice I find that's another common difference.