View Single Post
Old 13th April 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayTee4303 View Post
Almost all I/O here runs thru patchbays. It addition to giving us unlimited patching and routing options, it saves wear and tear on I/O ports on expensive gear.

Some exceptions are units which use combo ports, especially those which select between preamps or line inputs depending on which port is used.

This requires labelling and disciplined documentation. We keep detailed wiring diagrams near each patchbay, we update them when patches change, and, since these diagrams tend to move around, becoming unavailable when really needed, we keep a full set of duplicates on file as well.

That's where the discipline comes in. It takes extra time to dig out the right dupe, update it, and change the version date. Having an all in one printer handy, helps a lot.

Main Outs tend to feed monitors in systems w DSP loopback capability.

Systems that don't have loopback, the Main Outs feed an input pair, while outputs 1 and 2 feed monitors.

PS...don't forget to close any insert loops you bring to a patchbay that aren't normalled or used. Chaos awaits!

:-)
Chaos indeed! I have been working on the patchbays and routing options for a bit now and keep coming back around to asking myself "where should the main outs live?". I kind of want them to feed straight into the DAW but not through my main interface which is an Antelope Orion 32. Putting them into the patchbay makes the most sense but I also want them to run through the least amount of cable/connectors/switching possible.

Kind of playing with the idea of sending them directly to a 2 channel recorder of some kind and then monitoring the output of that device via the Dangerous Monitor ST system as that bypasses the console/DAW completely for checking final mixes etc. Like to get more peoples thoughts on this. Thanks for everything so far!