thread: Influences
View Single Post
Old 21st March 2016
Special Guest

You've hit the nail on the head.. My influences are deeper rooted in alternative culture than dance music, many of my musical awakenings are centred around seeing bands in the early to mid 90s rather then Djs. I hope I rarely play dance records which don't have a certain spirit to them, I certainly try to look in as many places as possible to find the ones which hit the spot.. And I guess that when I make or work on records I look to replicate that element within them.. I've always felt its down to how much I believe a record..

Another thing is that I always judge a record on how it feels rather than how it sounds. I know this sounds really stupidly obvious but there are so many records which sound great but leave you empty, and (this is why I am saying this on a producer led forum) as a producer its really *really* easy to judge music on sound and miss the point. I've been in situations when engineers or producers slag off a hi hat EQ and it feels like they are missing the point. Some of my favourite records sound like **** on a technical level.