View Single Post
Old 26th January 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonfly66 View Post
All microphones were in cardio pattern, no pad, and the filter switch was on. The capsules were as close together as possible and at the same height and depth. I set the gain on the mics to be equal on the way in. The GZ67fet and GZ47fet V were at the same gain setting while the MKIV D needed to be set a little higher. All three mics recorded the same take.

The mics were pointed at the 12th fret. The guitar was about 25" away from the mics. I did some strumming and fingerstyle. The guitar is a Taylor GC 12fret all Koa with Martin Retro (monel) strings (12s). An Ultex .73mm pick was used on the strumming samples. My finger nails and pads were used on the fingerstyle samples.

While there seemed to be a clear difference in these mics when tracking vocals, I've listened to these samples and it is hard to tell the difference between them. So much so I went back in exported the samples again to make sure I hadn't just exported the same thing over and over again.

The samples are uncompress aif files.

Warbler MKIV D (voice 1)
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ67fet
Fingerstyle
Strumming

GZ47fet V
Fingerstyle
Strumming
Thanks for these. You're right, they're much closer on guitar than on vox. I can hear the differences but it's slight in this example. I do prefer, by a small margin, the top end on both the GZ67Fet and the GZ47Fet V. Any of them would work though for sure.

If you get a chance, I'd love to hear those GZ74 SDC's on acoustic too.