View Single Post
Old 1st December 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron25 View Post
Hey guys, just in case you don't know, there are no polystyrene or tantalum capacitors in the warbler MKID. The effect on the sound is subtle, if you own a TB12, you have an easy way to test the difference a type of cap can make on sound. I do own an MKID and it sounds fine as is. The capsule has a much greater effect on the sound. Here's a quick photo comparison of the older version of the MKID, based on the latest photo above, there has been a revision. On the left is the polystyrene which is a photo of the Single pattern warbler. I think it was actually one of KVs photos...
...just to clarify, you've posted a picture of the cardioid-only Warbler I and the multi-pattern Warbler MKID...they are two different models, though they share the same voicing...the only way to know if there's been an actual "revision" would be open a current production version of the Warbler I to see if the polystyrene has in fact been replaced, or if the two different models simply vary in their circuit component layout to begin with (I see the same polystryrene/no polystyrene differential between the Warbler MKII and the MKIID)...I will inquire with Guosheng for details...

...but more to your point about the capsule's impact on the sound...that is IMHO where the major differential lies when comparing the 3U Audio mics to any of their direct competitors (such as Dave's products)...Guosheng's capsules are IMHO, superior to those other China-based capsule manufacturers...in particular, Guosheng's 34mm 6-micron K67 and his 34mm 6-micron K47 are exceptional in that they come closest to the Neumann originals (Dave's K47 is 32mm and his K67 is 35mm)...and that's not to slack on Guosheng's edge-terminated design either, which he has designed to offer a broad range of voicing variation for the 5 current 3U variants that employ the C12-style design...it's my opinion that Guosheng's capsules are the "secret-sauce" in these 3U Audio offerings...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightOnRome View Post
can someone explain this..is it good or bad?
...my guess is that it's neither, but simply a different choice of component...but let's see what Guosheng has to say...there is no great cost differential reflected in those components, so if in fact there has been any "revision" it wouldn't be to cut cost...remember, for the moment, that these are two different models pictured above, so we will have to wait to see if the current Warbler I reflects that change of component...if anyone has most recently received a cardioid-only Warbler I, then they could take a quick pic and post it, to assist in sorting this out...