View Single Post
Old 6th November 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Wilson View Post
Thank you for taking the time to research this. For some reason mine is not working, and LesC, your trouble shooting assessment is correct. I know the Lavry and cable to be fine, so I will contact Grace and see if they can help.

This age old conundrum moving a digital signal from a computer to an AES/EBU interface has been discussed many times. To my knowledge, there is still no USB to AES cable available, like one can buy for MIDI, for example. People have had to use interfaces (Some Avid, MOTU Traveler, that $1500 thing Weiss made, etc.) with AES pass throughs and hopefully the features in those $1,000+ boxes would be relevant to their needs.

For a person who's converters have only AES/EBU inputs (some Lavrys or Forssell for example) a monitor controller with an AES loop through is huge. The M905 digital loop through should follow whatever digital input you assign it to, either following the selected monitoring input or a fixed source if set up to do so. After reading the manual (and because I cannot get mine to work) I am unclear about what happens to the loop through when one switches from a digital to an analog input. Does a digital signal still pass through the M905? If so, it would open up a lot of routing possibilities.
Hi Chris,

The m905 will route the USB input to the digital out as long as it is the last digital input selected and loop out setting is set for follow DAC input. You can switch to analog inputs and the USB should still feed the digital out. Have you had any luck in getting this to work?
-Alex