View Single Post
Old 15th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post
I have decided to begin accepting Mastering Sessions this year.

It seems that the Weiss pieces are standard in the high end mastering rooms.
My setup so far is:
(2)-Trakkers
Massive Passive
Vari-mu
IBIS
(2)-Lil Freq's / (They are new but seem like they would be helpful in a mastering rack)
TC6000 (I have to update it with the Brickwall Limiter)
Hedd 192
Rosetta 800
Z-SYS 16.16
Finalizer (I have to update it to 96K)
Masterlink 96
Tascam RA1000
Protools HD - (I dont know what the standard Mastering Mac software is for capturing and structuring CD's but I will probably be using Waveburner)

I have narrowed down the speaker selection to the Barefoot MM27's or the Lapinski 707's.
The only other decision are the Weiss pieces. I have seen many mastering rooms with less but for the most part the high end rooms seem to all have weiss. Is there an advantage to processing with these units once you have transferred the songs into the workstation? Or is it that they are just as good or better than any of the available analog pieces?

I'm not a plug in fan but if there are any must have plugs for mastering that would be helpful.

Any input from the pros would be appreciated.
Sonic studio Soundblade is also good for making masters.
And also good as mastering DAW but you have to like the interface it takes some getting used to.
Also consider the analog eq from prismsound is is aimed at mastering studio's and sounds very good and the Cedar devices for noise removal.
I don't know the weiss gambit series but i used the weiss 102 system (on DOS with external hardware) for a while and it is a very capable tool so i guess the newer series are even more capable. A very good basic tool for mastering. And every bit as good as the best analog gear only different. And it is nice to have a very good linear phase eq around and a high quality compressor (in the 102 it really are 3 compressors in series) I guess you would use them a lot.
But you already have a nice selection on you're shopping list!!
And for plugins maybe inspectorXL is nice to have around. And some different dithering options.

Have Fun!!