View Single Post
Old 14th September 2015 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by quintosardo View Post
A bit of background behind the project:

We are (finally, would you believe?) testing our AAX (native) products.
Avid presented this beautiful system (AAX) that is replacing their RTAS/TDM, for both native (on host's CPU) and DSP (on dedicated processing boards) solutions.

AAX-DSP is the version of the plugin that can run (partially or entirely) on the DSP boards.
Main advantages are: extra-low latency, stability, better reliability (also because of lower load on CPU). Looks like this is the way to go if you want to track and monitor through plugins.

I was contacted by several users, asking if we were planning to port to AAX-DSP.
My answer was "no, too much workload, too small customer base".

Then, while developing AAX-native, I studied AAX-DSP. And I got how a beautiful system it is. And how well Avid integrated everything for the best code re-use. Yes, we want to produce for this system.
And I got a better picture of the infamous "Avid let their customers down abandoning TDM!" subject. It is a massive improvement, also from a sound perspective.

An AAX-DSP plugin runs at floating point 32 bit (at least), the same representation used in host's CPU, with all the advantages it gives. Old systems ran on fixed point chips. Getting exactly the same sound under all circumstances from such different systems is not simple. AAX-DSP makes it the right way.

------------

Now, we need to setup a hardware system. An Avid one, for tests, a Texas Instruments one, for coding and debugging (and in-deep testing).
A serious effort is needed to acquire the know-how (even though strong background and experience are already here) and the specific competence.
But we'll be able to offer the entire product range as DSP.

Are Pro Tools (HDX) people interested in our products? Who knows. They don't even have AAX-native from us (it is coming) so...

Here is why this idea looked like the best one.
It is a poll and a promotion at the same time. If the general interest exists, we'll be able to step on it without it being a big step in the dark.

The project's size is extremely small, don't be impressed. Cutting taxes, fees, etc. out it is still enough to cover the hardware systems (Avid helps developers with discounted hardware and free software) and the startup.

Net results will be:

- we'll have a full system for development
- acquired know-how, our software framework developed = easy development for all the future products
- porting first set of five products (STA-limit, C165a, Disto, SDC, SoundBrigade, but will be discussed with users)
- two new, original products (for "gold" and "diamond" pledgers)
- we'll have the first set of about 100 "DSP" customers!

Supporters get two kinds of advantages:

- super-discounted DSP products, immediately, starting from beta if they are into this kind of collaboration (and can strongly influence decisions! An inside view on all the development, including the new products).
- a new company in (DSP) town. Just imagine the effect it can have on other companies you like and aren't doing it...

Verry Cool!

Now, how can you get the attention of the HDX users and crowd. This is the most difficult part. I dont think many users are surfing on gearslutz or the DUC. Or maybe a small portion.

Could you have AVID help?

Cheers!