View Single Post
Old 7th July 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DomiBabi View Post
I was just trying to explain that the OP would benefit more from a dedicated outboard pre.

I tried steering him away from the Duet, only because there aren't enough outputs to facilitate tracking with two headphones (unless he buys a monitor controller or headphone distro).

I had a duet for years. The pres are good, but not at the level of a dedicated outboard pre.

Remember, the OP is working within a budget. There will be compromises. Because of this, i tried steering him in the direction of tools that he won't outgrow. Budget interfaces have improved dramatically over the last few years. I'd rather he get something with more i/o and options at the cost of a marginal quality difference

The baby face pro is a great sounding interface. Costs 100 more but then he wouldn't need a separate box to track with. That saves him money and there is less of a chance he will outgrow it.

As for the mic, the sm7 is a tool that any studio can benefit from. Hell yeah, a Manley condenser sounds great in a treated booth. OP doesn't have that.

Big detailed condensers are a pain to work with if you are tracking in the CR. more hassle than they are worth, especially for someone just starting out. OP can upgrade as his needs permit.
I totally agree with you on the two headphone outs. This is a critical problem on interfaces that the manufacturers use to up-sell. I wasn't aware the Babyface Pro had two headphone outs, that's really cool. Hope you can control the output of them without menu diving with a single knob like the Duet. I much prefer a standalone headphone knob I can just turn. Nice to see the RME get rid of the breakout cable.

You say the Babyface Pro is a great sounding interface; they don't appear to be out yet. Did the manufacturer supply you one?

SM7 is nice, but for my rap vocals I sold it and got a Neumann instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piedpiper View Post
You'd think so, wouldn't you. But then, you don't really know what you're talking about, do you?
So what has black lion done to make that 15 year old rack better than everything on the market today? I'm not doubting that they may have been great at some point, but I think most owners have pretty much jumped ship to Quartet, Apollo, etc and there are tons of people on here who have documented their switch.

Last edited by Inverted314; 7th July 2015 at 04:25 PM..