View Single Post
Old 30th June 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeOwnwho View Post
I know room treatment is a huge part of recording, but do you think I really need the kit from GIK? Could I get a few pieces and also get the shield for the microphone?
The shield is marketing BS for people who don't know any better and would like to think this will do it. Sound familiar? Think about it. In cardioid mode, which is what you will be using, the mic is dead in the back, which is the only place the shield blocks. It's a calculated money maker that feeds off ignorance. I'm overstating only slightly. I has a very small effect but might as well be nil. It is the room corners where the sound in the room builds up and fires a jumbled mess back out like a horn loaded speaker that are your primary target, as well as whatever surfaces are where the mic pick up pattern is pointed at. So, yes, you need the kit from GIK, or something like it. If you had very large panels that could stand behind and to the sides of you, IOW, the opposite of the shield, that could work, but they would have to be 8 feet tall and similarly wide to encompass you and the pick up pattern of the mic. Easier and more effective to deal with the room.

Quote:
The Event Opal monitors look nice, but to be honest I wasn't looking to spend $1500 on speakers. Is there another solution that is about half the cost?
See my earlier recommendation for the Zen Pro Yamaha HS8.

Quote:
I am kind of a noob when it comes to equipment, but are preamps always needed? At the studio we have now we just have the microphone going into the Focusrite which I guess is a preamp/audio interface all in one?
Correct, you can just use the built in pres and converters, both A to D and D to A, in the interface. The issue is then the quality. I good interface will have good clean pres, converters, headphone amp, and monitor controller. The Avid Mbox Pro is actually very good, especially for the price. It may be all you need, and will be small and convenient, yet have everything you need, including two headphone outs, which will be handy for singer and engineer. You can still add outboard pres that may have specific qualities that you are after.

One other thought. You can get a Digi 002R interface with the Black Lion Audio Signature modification for crazy cheap right now on eBay for about $600. It will be better than most options at any price and is still compatible with Protools even though it is old, which is why people are dumping them. It will compare well with several thousand dollars of outboard and have more than enough ins and outs for you purposes. You may still want to get a serious preamp for the particular qualities it offers, but you won't need to.

Last edited by Piedpiper; 1st July 2015 at 05:27 AM..