View Single Post
Old 30th June 2015
Here for the gear

High End Gear - Recording in Room

Hello Everyone!

This is my first post, so I will keep it short and sweet.

I currently rap with a group of friends and long story short - our home made studio that was built in our friends garage is going to have to get put down. Basically the neighbors put in a complaint with the city and now we have to tear down our studio to make it compliant with the city. We should have thought this through, but we didn't think anyone in their right mind would put in a complaint for a "living structure" in the garage which is what the neighbors said. it's not even loud, these neighbors just have a problem with us...

Anyways I am looking to build a mini/portable home studio setup in my room. I really want to create the highest quality of music - something like the professionals.

I am looking into purchasing some gear and I would love to hear your thoughts.

Here is what I am looking at so far:

Microphone: Neumann U87ai
Preamp: Avalon 737
DAW: Protools 11
Audio Interface - not sure - HELP!!
Headphones - not sure - HELP!!
Studio Monitors - not sure - HELP!!
Room treatment - some studio foam/foam shield

I will be recording on a 2013 Mac Book Pro Retina - Should I make any upgrades to this?

I appreciate all the feedback and I also expect to see a lot of criticism on the U87 and Avalon mix. I HAVEN'T TRIED the microphone or preamp yet, but I sure will before I make a purchase. I've looked into renting, but in my area it seems so expensive (San Jose, CA). I'd rather almost just purchase it and see what the return policy is like in case I don't sound good on the mic.

Thank you for all your help in advance!