View Single Post
Old 7th May 2015
Gear Head

Better performance out of one CPU?

Good evening Gearslutz.

I have a question for the technical masters on this website, maybe they (you) can help me.

I currently run on a Dell Precision T7500 workstation with dual x5675 CPU's. 12gb of ram on each CPU. Windows 7 professional 64bit.

I love this workstation. I actually purchased this a few months ago off of ebay for very, very cheap. I came from an i5 2500k (not overclocked) PC that I built. I used my LS56 audio interface with the I5 2500k because I could not use my 1820m pci audio interface. Well this Dell allows me to do because of the CPU change and I never knew how much I missed that sound. I know people say that you can't really tell a difference between audio interfaces these days but I can tell a difference between these two. It also comes with performance benefits coming from the I5 2500k and firewire, to now being on the PCI bus.

Well my problem, question, is this. I have a large project running in Cubase 8 with MANY MANY VST EFFECTS that all run off of the CPU's. No DSP whatsoever. My VST performance meter (average load) hovers around 3/4 of the way with no pops but my "real time peak" meter is bouncing near the max. I assumed it was my Old audio interface causing the bottleneck somewhere.

Well, just playing around one day, I pulled the 2nd CPU riser out and ran the workstation with one CPU. I opened that project and both the VST average and real time load hovered steadily around 50%.

Can someone explain this? Is there a reason for this? Where is the bottleneck? Why do I get more performance out of one CPU?

If you need more specs let me know. I do have PCI-e cards installed also (boot drive, usb 3.0).

Thanks in advance