View Single Post
Old 24th April 2015
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontyMakesMusic View Post
I've been thinking a lot about how to approach that. It is an issue. But I won't be able to really attack it until I know for sure how the sub is behaving in the space. Now, if you're talking about it being loud outside the room, as in bothersome or something like that, that's not an issue. The garage will disperse any excess noise. But besides that, I'm not going to be doing finishing work in here. Not to mention very loud work. This is going to be for producing, singing, and mixing. If it turns out to be a nightmare to master or put finishing touches on the mix, I just wont do it there. I just need a place to write music and record vocals. So I think of it as a vocal booth with a drum machine in it...

As far as it being an acoustical nightmare all around, you're not alone in that assumption as you can see from the dudes above, but I just don't see it that way. Like I've mentioned before, I've spent most of my career in tiny spaces. I recorded and mixed for a year in a room at a studio that was no bigger than this is going to be and it was certainly manageable (if not ideal).

Maybe I'm being overly optimistic, but I think it's going to be awesome.
Cool man - I'm not trying to put you off, just hoping to manage your expectations a little! Recording, being creative, yes - but I don't think you stand a chance of getting anything like an accurate response from your monitors in those conditions. If you can work around that then cool, but I definitely need to hear what's happening between 50 and 200hz accurately to mix, never mind sub frequencies. Also, there will be significant first reflection issues that will create stereo image and high frequency problems too. The amount of treatment needed to control all this would halve your space and make it unliveable...

Basically just suspend the idea of proper final mixing and use it as a writing space. Then you won't end up spending a ton of money trying to fix the unfixable...

Please don't take this as negative, just trying to help you avoid disappointment dude!
P