View Single Post
Old 19th April 2015
Lives for gear

...I just received the "Warbler II", I have to say these mics are quite impressive (at this price-point of course)...loaded with German WIMA capacitors, custom-wound BV.08 type transformer, and a very nice quality, true K47-type capsule...this mic sounds good!...no harsh top-end, or hyped brightness...plenty of bottom...good articulation...this is a very solid product, worthy of a higher price-point, IMHO...

...the voicing options though, are a bit different then described on the eBay ad...they are 3 distinctively different settings...the "V1" position, to my taste, is the best all-around, balanced voicing...this "V1" setting is somewhat reminiscent of the now discontinued KEL HM-7U which also employed a K47-type capsule, but the Warbler II also adds a 47-style output tranny which gives the mic a bit more sonic girth/weight (dare I say "mojo"?)...based on what I can remember from my first-generation HM-7U, the Warbler II may have just a touch more articulated tone (slightly more crisp) which is not a bad thing at all...

...based on a quick auditioning (just my speaking voice) the other 2 voice options, "V2" sounds like it has a slight low-cut, and "V3" sounds like "V1" with added top-end boost...so there are 3 different choices, but I would describe them differently than as is explained on the website...I hope to have a female vocalist available to demo the 3 different voice options sometime in the next week or two, at which time I will post the soundfiles...the differences should be more distinct and discernible on a singing voice...the Warbler II also features a set of low-cut and pad switches to boot...

...but all things considered, this little "47-style" LDC punches well above it's price class (not to mention offers multiple voicings)...the Warbler II is very impressive at $299...since the more costly KEL HM-7U is no longer available, this mic could be the best alternative short of building or modding an existing mic with a K47 capsule...at $299 pre-built with this quality of components, it's a bargain, IMHO...

...I did a bit of research on the factory that is producing these mics, and while I don't want to get into any trouble naming names, suffice to say, these mics are being produced alongside some much more costly and respected brands...this is a lot closer to the top of the Chinese mic "food-chain" then I would have expected at these price points...

Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1655.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1648.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1646.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1647.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1649.jpg  

Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1652.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1653.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-img_1658.jpg  

Last edited by kidvybes; 23rd April 2015 at 07:49 PM..