View Single Post
Old 10th April 2015
Lives for gear

3U Audio's Affordable LDC Microphones w/ Multiple Voicing

...there are a few higher-end LDC mics that offer multiple voicings, but I've never seen one this affordable...anybody have any experience with one of these?...considering pulling the trigger to test one...build quality looks quite nice...WIMA caps, proper 9.5:1 ratio transformer (as in )...

3U Audio Warbler Condenser Microphone Switchable Sound Styles Vocal Instrument | eBay

http://3uaudio.com/chanpin.asp?dh=1

-

(thought I'd add this to kidvybes OP - (Blast9 mod)

3u mics demos thread here

Descriptions taken from post 442 https://www.gearslutz.com/board/11177740-post442.html

Teal CM-1- edge-terminated capsule (251) - transformer-less FET output

Black CM-1 - center-terminated capsule (87) - transformer-less FET output

Warbler Mk1 (aka "Warbler" on the 3u website) - center-terminated capsule (87) - FET w/9.5:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MK II - center-terminated capsule (47) - FET w/6.5:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MK III - edge-terminated capsule (C12) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MK IV - edge-terminated capsule (251) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler MK V* - edge-terminated capsule (*dark) - FET w/12:1 transformer-coupled output

Warbler Mk VI - a brighter version of of Mk I, similar to Sony C800G . The darkest setting is similar to a U87

* the voicing of the MK V is quite unique and while it might border on the dark side of a 251, it has a voicing that responds almost ribbon/dynamic like...

...and then, of course, there are the premium GZ-series FET and tube offerings...the designations (GZ67, GZ251, GZ47) are somewhat self-explanatory...these employ dual-diaphragmed capsules allowing for multiple polar-pattern settings...they also employ American and British made transformer-coupled output...
Attached Thumbnails
Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-_57.jpg   Affordable LDC Microphone With Multiple Voicings-_57aa.jpg  

Last edited by Blast9; 28th April 2017 at 05:57 PM..