View Single Post
Old 19th February 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by prog View Post
Hi

This is my second or third time using this chain so I'm asking the more experienced ones for opinion.

Yesterday I was recording a vocalist with a fairly low-midrange colored voice and the vocals ended up sounding a bit too colored, bordering on "saturated". Like it was adding a lot of harmonics in the mids mostly. The problem? was a lot more apparent when stacking doubles. The sound suited the song and the artist was really happy with the sound, but I hated not knowing what was exactly going on.

I double checked my gain staging and technically I wasn't clipping anything, nor meters nor the waveform came out clipped.
I didn't hear this the last time I used a U67/1073 combo in that same studio, but it was with another singer and I think I used a Tubetech CL1B that time instead of the LA2A. Probably the different singer's voice played a big role too.

Is this common or do you think I was pushing some gain stage too hard? Am I going paranoid over nothing? Should I look for a job at the local pizza joint?

I'll see if I can post any samples but probably not since it's for a big label.

Thanks!
its not the most coloured chain in the world but will definitely become more apparent when stacking. swapping the la2a for the cl1b would open up the top end a touch more, i suspect.

i recently used a similiar chain but with a 610 in place of the 1073. that was quite coloured but suited the source.