View Single Post
Old 8th January 2015
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPhoenix View Post
Things that use software to boost performance really make me nervous. I'm glad you put some logic behind my fears of the EVO. It's why I spent the extra money on the 840 Pro.
Actually the 'software to boost performance' features that Samsung offers are independant of EVO or Pro status, they're basically using system RAM to add additional levels of write Caching, and is completely optional.

Also DAW Plus didn't mention that, he was referring to TLC or Triple-Level-Cell Nand where the Nand has MORE than the number of signalling levels or states than MLC uses. TLC = Triple Level Cell, MLC = Multi Level Cell....and TLC is actually misleading as a term anyway but that's tech for you.

2 signalling states is SLC which is used in Enterprise class SSD's (SAS) and was used in the very first SSD's. (1 higher voltage signalling level for the 1, and the lowest state for 0). MLC has more states than SLC so that it can store 2 bits per 'cell', and so TLC refers of course to storing 3 bits per cell...and since there are now so many signalling states, and since these 'reference voltage' states actually CHANGE OVER TIME, the TLC drives wear out faster than MLC which wears faster than SLC... and thus 'bit rot' occurs much faster. The controller adjusts for the 'states' changing voltage over time, but the 'bug' that occured also involved this 'adjusting of reference voltage states over time' not working correctly in EVO class drives...so it's still an emerging and not fully proven tech. This is compounded by the fact that Nand's robustness (aside from SLC/MLC/TLC) overall is REDUCED as the CMOS tech moves to smaller & smaller processes....

So the stated lifespan of the drives indeed *seems* to be plenty of time, but we really don't know the # of drives that may fail 1-2 years out until we get there. Which is why DAW Plus is being (possibly rightfully so) cautious about them.