View Single Post
Old 7th January 2015
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
...by the way I'd drop the $20 and just ask for help. It's kind of insulting saying I'll give you 0.2% of what I'm going to spend if you help me.
This was said with a healthy dose of humor... not as an attempt to reset minimum wage rates. If beer tickles your fancy though... I'll buy the first round for sure!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassmankr View Post
If you have a Microcenter nearby, their in-store pricing of the 4790K will be the lowest you can get it for and you will also be likely to find a very cheap but functional case there (they typically have many closeouts - no extra shipping costs and less chance of a dented case).
There is one on the south side of Denver. Not too far...
For the motherboard? I feel like that's a critical piece of the puzzle, right? I'm sure there are a half dozen different models that would fit that CPU, but is there a best one ... better yet, ones to stay away from?? And does that affect what memory you can use?

Maybe that's my really the crux of my issue here. Putting a motherboard, CPU and Memory combination together. Drives, cases, power supplies ... all of that stuff is pretty flexible, right. If I get a killer combination of those three things, then wrapping everything around it should be doable.

It seems like that Intel Core i7-4790K (something Haswell) is the popular choice for processor. What mother board and memory would be best paired with it??

{edit} You're freaking kidding me... looking up the i7-4790K I found that the i7-4770K is really the "flagship" processor for intel's i7 line. I swear to god I hate this stuff.{/edit}

-r