View Single Post
Old 7th January 2015
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikharthu View Post
I think he's referring to the lower, "public" level.

For one, most photographers I've met don't have dreams of making it big, so they're not going to do things for...exposure. And there are less of them from my view.

For two, I don't think society has quite caught up with the reality of hobby audio production. Cheap photography has been around for quite some time, and in deed everyone has a camera of some sort, so people are aware of the difference. As in, musicians who aren't really in the know think of AEs all the same.

"Hire an AE", they think. "What, your buddy's got a rig? He'll do it for free? Great!" - massive devaluation

"Hire a photographer! What, your buddy's got an iPhone? Uh...nah..."

Then there's the bit about most people not having any real standard for sonics. A very visual bunch, these kids, so they don't really seek quality and keep the low rate guys working (a lot of them do graduate, of course).

And really, just in the realm of stigma, professional photography is still considered a "serious" thing, somewhat like a plumber, whereas audio production is thought of as, well, I don't know. It's lumped in there with "musicians"...it just has a lot of "fun" attached to the idea. Paying someone to have fun seems silly to most. And we're all in it together, right bro? Let's make a sick album! Pay you?! I thought you were my bro! I'm going to Billy's home studio, f u man.
Your audio example does happen in the low end market (heck, we have a Low End forum here, right?).

As for photography, even back in the film days (I'm speaking from experience here) you always had some relative show up at weddings with a decent SLR and take pictures beside the photographer and his assistant; then while you're trying to sell the portraits, they've already had Uncle Bob give them the negatives from the sessions that you set up. Today, it still happens because of the plethora of DSLRs that are out there; a new one is $300 and many of them now connect to Wi-Fi so Uncle Bob has uploaded the wedding photos (that you posed and staged) to his Facebook page before you've even gotten back to the studio to edit the shots.

For pro photo sessions, I used to use a Mamiya C220 Medium Format Twin Lens camera for improved clarity and sharpness and also, so the "SLR guy" wouldn't have anything to say to the couple ("Hey, his camera is the same as mine", "I'm as good as the pro" etc.). Audio is much the same; the pro is using Neve or SSL consoles and Neumann Mics, while hobby guy runs Mackie and Audix.

If you think about it, an awful lot of people lost their jobs due to film being eliminated (Kodak went into bankruptcy) than lost their jobs making reel to reel tape.