View Single Post
Old 25th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Hmm well if you're not willing to get the caps out and put them together, you're talking about a mic array of sorts, really. Summing the signals post mic preamplifier, I assume. I'm not sure whether this will result in an apparent decrease in noise, since the s/n ratio is 'done'. Maybe someone can chime in. This will get you an apparent increase in sensitivity to the extent that the signal is in phase. Shrug. If the caps are spaced out to any degree, it results in a mishmash of comb filtering that can be calculated in advance. Not to say it would be a bad sound, but it's not a mic. For one thing, you're dealing with three or four cables, taking up three or four preamp channels. Additionally, jamming the capsules together in any arrangement would result in more mic body behind each capsule, and a weird polar pattern. Again, not that weird is bad.

This is getting pretty far from what the DPA 2006 is doing, which is to achieve a phase coherent summing of the two caps in one clean, quiet, fast line; something better than one 1/4" cap. And maybe better than some 1/2" caps, although not better than DPA's own.
I'm not trying to design a new mic; I'm just experimenting with the tools I have to get more out of them. I've been doing this kind of thing for over 30 years, and have come up with a few unique things along the way.

This whole concept is nothing new, by the way; others have been doing it for years, so it's not anything innovative or novel DPA is doing here, and I'd argue it's a stretch to say that it's the future of mic design. It's obvious that compromises have been made, looking at the polar patterns. You can't get something for nothing. Furthermore, DPA isn't going to sell a far less expensive piece that will give their flagship model a run for its money. Also, I personally believe you DO get what you pay for as far as the 4006A is concerned.

Even though theory states that the smaller capsules are faster than the relatively larger ones, that's not what my ears tell me when it comes to the 4006A; it's the fastest I've personally come across when using and listening to it in practice. Perhaps the nickel has something to do with it.

As far as the Avenson mic array goes, it has its own advantages due to their very thin mic bodies, which will allow more placement options and possibly less phase issues when carefully placed. I'll also listen at right angles, and facing each other as well, varying the distance while listening. I can do this easily because I always utilize my custom IEMs when placing mics.

As far as the S/N goes, AFAIK, the noise is still non-correlated even when using multiple mic preamps when the capsules are placed close enough to each other. The noise should still add up as the root of the sum of the squares. However, I haven't measured it myself, but will if I ever get around to doing this experiment.

Merry Christmas!