View Single Post
Old 24th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
I would agree with you, but it didn't seem to work. Doesn't the high frequency directionality have to do with the body of the mic 180 degrees off axis?
Yes, and most likely explains the slight comb filtering effect on some of the polar patterns due to the interaction of both capsules/body positions/proximity. If only one capsule was used, my guess is the pattern would be smoother. Always a compromise. The other explanation could be that facing them the same direction gave worse results because of more housing behind both capsules, and facing them toward each other smoothed the pattern a little. Just a guess; I actually haven't seen or used the mics; I'm totally unfamiliar with them, but know and own the 4006As.

Quote:
Originally Posted by szegedin View Post
Big thumbs I applaud and support your experiment, thou bold tinkerer! Never heard those Avensons, but I bet you'll like what you hear, having higher sensitivity and much needed lower noise. Do let us know on this thread if you do.
They're very neutral as-is and seem to pick up more room than the 4006As. They don't seem as fast, though, but that may be due to their high self noise. I may have a different opinion after the experiment. One advantage they have regarding their "omniness" is their very small diameter bodies, which eventually meet the larger diameter portion. Configuring them 3 per side will end up with the capsules being about 2 or more cm from each other I think, which may require atypical placement. Not sure how this distance will effect S/N, but am guessing not much.

Last edited by Aural Endeavors; 24th December 2014 at 09:20 PM.. Reason: Spelling