View Single Post
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Vibrato View Post
No - you don't fix that with pickups. If there's dead spots/hot spots, that means your frets aren't level. This is where a skilled luthier can make a world of difference. If it's a newer guitar, then the frets can likely be levelled without having to replace any (this doesn't cost too much). Most older guitars need to have the fingerboard planed and refretted in order to correct this issue (this can be kind of expensive).

Paying for a luthier's time and skills isn't cheap, and you definitely have to find the right luthier (there's plenty of bad ones out there). Some guitars aren't worth dumping a pile of money into, and some are - this is where it's up to the player to make a judgement call.

Again - the only reason I remarked on Foldback's comment was because he said "no amount of money" can make a bad guitar sound good. I disagree, because I do it all the time - I've turned many bad playing/ bad sounding guitars into professional quality instruments. It's only a matter of time and money.
I disagree. Any solid material is going to have resonant frequencies--if you tap it, you'll hear this those resonant frequencies are going to make some notes louder than others, and some quieter. It's just the laws of physics: a fret job won't change that. Adding or subtracting mass, changing the neck--these things might. But whatever you do to the frets, the mass and density of the guitar stays the same