View Single Post
Old 15th December 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB+J View Post
In general I agree with this, but in my experience one thing you cant' really fix easily is if the guitar has pronounced dead spots or hot spots. More than anything else, that's what I look for--does it play evenly, or do I have to constantly make right hand adjustments to compensate for notes that are too loud or too quite. it's hard to fix that with pickups. Sometimes adding or subtracting mass will make a difference, but uneven response is the thing I avoid
No - you don't fix that with pickups. If there's dead spots/hot spots, that means your frets aren't level. This is where a skilled luthier can make a world of difference. If it's a newer guitar, then the frets can likely be levelled without having to replace any (this doesn't cost too much). Most older guitars need to have the fingerboard planed and refretted in order to correct this issue (this can be kind of expensive).

Paying for a luthier's time and skills isn't cheap, and you definitely have to find the right luthier (there's plenty of bad ones out there). Some guitars aren't worth dumping a pile of money into, and some are - this is where it's up to the player to make a judgement call.

Again - the only reason I remarked on Foldback's comment was because he said "no amount of money" can make a bad guitar sound good. I disagree, because I do it all the time - I've turned many bad playing/ bad sounding guitars into professional quality instruments. It's only a matter of time and money.