thread: Sonic Isolation
View Single Post
Old 1st October 2002
Super Moderator

Re: Sonic Isolation

Well, back in 1987 when I built my third truck, we used multiple layers of material, but not like your typical recording studio.

It's been a long, long time ago, so I will do my best to remember and explain it to you...

Since we had to start with a truck body, I used it as my frame. The interior side of the aluminum sheets that attached to the truck body ribs were undercoated by spraying this rubber substance. The undercoating really deadened the box very nicely. Then we filled in the spaces between the ribs with 5 LB density fiberglass insulation. We laminated two sheets of 3/4 inch plywood together by spreading silicon across the sheets very thinly, then pressing them together to make one very heavy sheet of wood. Once together, each 1.5+ inch sheet was attached to the truck body's ribs with screws. On top of that, we added two layers of 1/32 inch lead sheet lining. Once the lead lining was in place, we added a rubber sheet layer and a one inch teak wood finish.

We milled all our own pieces. The live side has triangle shaped teak strips and the dead side has 5 LB density fiberglass with angel hair over that for a better feel and to keep you from the insulation. The truck walls are about five inches think. The ceiling was similar to the walls except for the fact that we used one sheet of plywood and added a rubber layer with a leather type of material for a cool look and feel. We lead lined the truck's bed and floated a wood framed parque floor on rubber pucks.

Tommy the Carpenter did an awesome job for me. The huge, thick remote controlled entrance door still works like a charm, even after all this time. I really cannot believe it held up to all the abuse it got over the years. The walls never crumbled or fell apart over time or in transit either.

It did reduce the interior width of the work space, but I worked around that by installing two angled ceiling racks in front and behind you.