View Single Post
Old 19th October 2014 | Show parent
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Mixwell ➡️
I dig it a lot, as I said, I like the clarity,
crystal clear noiseless sound with a black background, but not at the compromise of any musicality,
when Apogee first told me about the Symphony, they had pushed to me that they have improved the performance, linearity, clarity, transparency of their design.
To my delight this converter does indeed sound "clearer", wider and deeper than the 16x's...Much better headroom. My mix downs thanked me.

The Symphony's clean sound never distracts me from hearing its smooth as glass glow! I compared it to my Old Rosetta 200, the top end on the R200 sounded "granular" and had way more "electronic glare" to it. Way less bottom end extension. The Symphony sounded softer and sweeter to my ears,
Agreed about all its better points. They are very real and allow for big, soft yet clear shapes. But it still doesn't have as much musical magic sauce as the old 8000.......but then not many converters do. Funnily enough I reckon Ross Martin's stuff kind of does. Somewhere between the 8000 and Symphony in a few ways, one could say, with some of both's better points rolled into one. He's just getting a new 8 i/o rack out...quite tempting and dirt cheap.