View Single Post
Old 16th October 2014
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
I think you are missing samc's point? We all shoot out our mics at some point. Just not that amount of mics on the clients dime.
In my view, you and samc are missing SharpKillerCable's point:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpKillerCable
...and the producer for a new project set up probably 12 "very expensive" vintage and new mics to try on the lead singer.
the producer IS "the client". It is "his dime". If he wants to spend an hour deciding on the microphone that will be used to record the most important instrument on the entire project, that's not only his right, it could be viewed as his responsibility. Should he just flip a coin, or allow the engineer to pick HIS "favorite"? Should he go to a dinky little home studio that has only ONE vocal mic?

The engineer did not insist on shooting out 12 mics. The client did. Or the client's representative in the musical world - the producer. And IMO that is perfectly reasonable, it is part of why you go to such a studio in the first place.

And all I was saying is that if engineers "don't need" to do these shootouts on any given day, it's only because they have already done them enough times to "know" their mics.

Quote:
But hey if the OP paid for it I guess it could be looked on as an "educational" session?
from my reading of it, it was a "foundational" session -i.e the starting point of a large project. I don't think it even needs to be "defended", frankly.

Part of it is "picking the best mic". Part of it could be simply "breaking the ice". Giving the singer a chance to warm up in a lower-pressure situation. And again I would not underestimate the psychological value of feeling confident that you have covered all the bases and there is not a "more appropriate" mic somewhere that you "should" be using.

Hell, for Bruce Springsteen's Born to Run album, I read they spent 3 days choosing the snare drum/mic combination. 3 days! Then again, considering that that backbeat (wham!) occurred about once every two seconds for the entire 42 and a half minutes running time of the record, and considering what a massive hit that record was, and considering what it did for Springsteen's career, who can say for certain it was "wasted" time?

Who can say for certain that the specific snare sound was not contributory to the record's success?