View Single Post
Old 10th June 2014
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonSpacht View Post
Maestro is designed to be the antithesis of the "├╝ber-console" described above. It is as lightweight and simple as possible, so you can do what you need to do and then get back to recording. Many Symphony users only open Maestro infrequently, if at all.

Some people find the simplicity "primitive," others love it - kind of depends on how you feel about software mixers and control apps in general.
Agreed.
I'm a big fan of modularity and simplicity. I come from a computer programming background, so I like each separate thing to do a single function, do it simply, and do it well. That's why I went with the Symphony. It does 1 thing - convert digital and analog information at a very high quality, and just passes it down the chain. I feel that modularity is an extremely important concept in any system; when something breaks, you can replace it with minimal collateral loss. When something is due for an upgrade you have the same advantage. When each piece in a system only does one function it also makes trouble shooting very efficient.

I try to make my audio system as much like Object-Oriented-Programming as possible:
  • modularity
  • adaptability
  • data isolation (or, in audio, the use of transformers for current isolation, so if one thing breaks it doesn't break the whole system)
  • functional isolation (for example, an interface that does nothing but interfacing, and does it very efficiently and effectively)

These things result in increased understanding, ease of maintenance, and ease of evolution.

I applaud Apogee in designing such an elegant product.