The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

need a versatile microphone that can handle drums, electric or acoustic guitar, a horn section, or big vocal sound? The CU-41 captures it all, with a transparent, very detailed and truly high-fidelity sound. On a grand piano, this mic gives clarity and low-end quality like no other. A rich, male baritone resonates through the speakers with unbelievable warmth. Unlike conventional microphones, the CU-41 houses two condenser titanium capsules vertically mounted and transformer coupled. Sanken’s original circuitry combines the outputs from the two diaphragms to provide a totally pure sound without phase distortion. The microphone has a solid cardioid pattern with low proximity effect. The titanium capsules are impervious to humidity and temperature, providing a very stable and consistent sound. It’s not easy to produce capsules using titanium, again Sanken provides a unique solution. Suitable for a wide variety of applications in recording, broadcasting, television and motion picture studios, the CU-41 delivers flat response from 20Hz to 20KHz. It can faithfully pick up everything from the pulsating lows of the deepest bass instruments to the piercing highs of a coloratura soprano; from the gentlest whisper to the most deafening percussive sound – without clipping. Response is uniform over the full audible frequency range. In the 80s this mic was very popular for vocals, then it also gained popularity as a spotlight mic for orchestral and then jazz.

Discussions

Sanken CU-41

I just stumbled on a used Sanken CU-41 for sale locally. Original owner, purchased in 1989, purportedly excellent condition. I have general familiarity with these, and understand the basic specs and construction, but would appreciate any current opinions on how these shape up in today's market of both new and used mics. I am otherwise...

View Post

Most flattering, impressive, touching microphones you heard

First time I heard a sanken cu41 :facepalm: Don't know why they don't get much love here...

View Post

Ultimate ORTF pair

...Sankens are incredible for orchestra pickup. I got to know and love them with John Eargle. Although, he used the CU-41 as his main pair. They’re great if you have a heavy-duty stand/boom. For live concert capture, they’re a bit too large and obtrusive. I’ve been extremely happy with the Neumann TLM170 (in wide-cardioid) lately...

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?