The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Is LoopCloud "safe" to use for my music?
Old 9th June 2019
SamplesLoops Is LoopCloud "safe" to use for my music?

There was a big discussion about using cloud based sample services on another thread in GearSlutz: COMPOSERS: DO NOT USE SPLICE [Public Service Announcement]

Basically they were saying that using these sample packs is similar to sampling someone's song and creating a derivative work. This means that someone else also has ownership of every song you create using these samples. Is this true?

Do I really infringe on someone's copyright and owe them a chunk of my royalties by using LoopCould or other similar services? Seems unfair to me that if I pay my money to use the samples that I also have to give up my royalties to someone else.

I though these samples were royalty-free to use in any production.

Can someone come in and clear up things? Thanks.
Old 10th June 2019
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desire Inspires View Post
There was a big discussion about using cloud based sample services on another thread in GearSlutz: COMPOSERS: DO NOT USE SPLICE [Public Service Announcement]

Basically they were saying that using these sample packs is similar to sampling someone's song and creating a derivative work. This means that someone else also has ownership of every song you create using these samples. Is this true?

Do I really infringe on someone's copyright and owe them a chunk of my royalties by using LoopCould or other similar services? Seems unfair to me that if I pay my money to use the samples that I also have to give up my royalties to someone else.

I though these samples were royalty-free to use in any production.

Can someone come in and clear up things? Thanks.
The long and short of it is that anything using a sample is a derivative work of some kind. If the content you're sampling is royalty-free, it's completely legal and the author of the derivative work retains the copyright assuming all other sounds do not require a license. As a real example, my own sound service Pyro Audio (pyroaudio.com) offers royalty free drum samples with the EXPECTATION that others will create original works with them, and thus the sounds are always royalty-free, globally, in perpetuity. We retain zero percent of your works that use those sounds, because we never provide content that has already been copyrighted by someone else.
Old 11th June 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericpalonen View Post
The long and short of it is that anything using a sample is a derivative work of some kind. If the content you're sampling is royalty-free, it's completely legal and the author of the derivative work retains the copyright assuming all other sounds do not require a license. As a real example, my own sound service Pyro Audio (pyroaudio.com) offers royalty free drum samples with the EXPECTATION that others will create original works with them, and thus the sounds are always royalty-free, globally, in perpetuity. We retain zero percent of your works that use those sounds, because we never provide content that has already been copyrighted by someone else.
Good to know. Thanks.
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search