The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'Classic OB' - an Oberheim inspired preset pack for u-he Diva Keyboard Synthesizers
Old 21st August 2015
  #1
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
'Classic OB' - an Oberheim inspired preset pack for u-he Diva

After spending a year comparing u-he Diva with my OB8 in order to make another test, I decided to go the whole hog and make a preset pack of my favorite OB8 sounds - and have a GUI / skin made for Diva in the Obie style...

This preset pack contains many authentic analogue style sounds which I spent hours tweaking to get as close to the real thing as possible. You can decide for yourself how close below and see if you can tell which Synth is Diva and which is my OB8.

80 presets included and 3 skin variations to transform Diva into an OB Classic!



Here is a blind test - currently being polled in the Electronic Music forum - go and submit your vote!



And a 'Song Test' comparing the analogue vs Diva synth in a basic track format




Hope you like the sounds - they are available here for £19.99 Swan Audio |
Old 21st August 2015
  #2
Full support! Great job man! Can feel the great taste and great effort put in those presets!
Just bought it
All the best Swan
Old 21st August 2015
  #3
Lives for gear
 
cprompt's Avatar
 

I don't have u-he Diva but your presets instantly took me back to the 80s. They sound really good!
Old 21st August 2015
  #4
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
thanks guys!
Old 21st August 2015
  #5
Lives for gear
 

That song test video is really interesting. I also don't own diva, but if I did I would be all over this. I am sold on it's emulation after that test.
Old 24th August 2015
  #6
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Old 30th August 2015
  #7
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
the resuolts of the test were 60:40 people choosing Synth A to be hardware - but in fact Synth A was Diva with my Classic OB presets...However since I told the answers - the result somehow coming back to 50:50...I wonder why...
Old 10th October 2015
  #8
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
the preset pack and tests were featured on Sonic State...apparently 63% of people said they nailed the test! ....however that was when the results were available...

U-he Diva vs OB-8 Poly - Take The Test
Old 2nd December 2015
  #9
Lives for gear
 

I also thought A is hardware. Excellent test and good presets.

Why this thread is so unpopular?
Old 3rd December 2015
  #10
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
I also thought A is hardware. Excellent test and good presets.

Why this thread is so unpopular?
thanks - yeah a lot of people thought that...this thread is the soundpack thread and this forum is a bit isolated...fortunately there was a bit more traffic on the main thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...va-vs-ob8.html
Old 3rd December 2015
  #11
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWAN808 View Post
thanks - yeah a lot of people thought that...this thread is the soundpack thread and this forum is a bit isolated...fortunately there was a bit more traffic on the main thread

https://www.gearslutz.com/board/elec...va-vs-ob8.html
Oh, I missed the main thread. BTW, your enthusiasm about the analog simulation on the computer has been nothing but amazing.
Old 4th December 2015
  #12
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaigen View Post
Oh, I missed the main thread. BTW, your enthusiasm about the analog simulation on the computer has been nothing but amazing.
thanks its an interesting topic...and Im an ex scientist so testing fairly is what I aim to do...
Old 23rd February 2016
  #13
Gear Maniac
 

just bought this in the hope that it will stop me from buying the OB-6

will report back
Old 29th October 2016
  #14
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis White View Post
just bought this in the hope that it will stop me from buying the OB-6

will report back
Well?
Old 29th October 2016
  #15
Gear Maniac
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBlizz View Post
Well?
well of course everyone would rather have a massive cave filled with hardware, but sometimes that isn't feasible / affordable!

i love Diva. it's brilliant imo.

this OB preset with skin is ace, i've been using it loads. there are some pad presets in there which serve as great starting points for me personally.

would recommend! not exactly breaking the bank either
Old 30th October 2016
  #16
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
yes a few people said the pack made up for the fact they couldn't afford the new OB6...and as per above it can be pretty close to an OB8...glad to hear you liked it Dennis
Old 4th May 2018
  #17
Here for the gear
 

Just stumbled onto this - awesome work. I can hear how much work you put into this. I own an OB8, your sounds are really close, so much so that I'm thinking of selling mine now. It's in great shape... but sooner or later they all crap out I'm tired of the flakiness/ repair bills/the little prayer I say every time I switch it on. I thought I couldn't replace it until now!!!
I noticed the (subtle!) differences in tests 5,8 and 9 that gave it away - but you would have to know the OB8 very well to distinguish the software from the hardware. I'm not surprised more than half picked your patches over the OB8 - I doubt I would know the difference if they were in a mix and not played as solo patches.

Seriously, fantastic work.
Man, software synths have really come a long way! I think it's reached a point where what's left are some quirks in classic synths that can never be emulated properly for many reasons...but at what cost is it better to hang on to the gear? That's a rhetorical question lol - if you live in Tokyo and want an OB8 pm me
Old 5th May 2018
  #18
Gear Guru
 
SWAN808's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by ianob View Post
Just stumbled onto this - awesome work. I can hear how much work you put into this. I own an OB8, your sounds are really close, so much so that I'm thinking of selling mine now. It's in great shape... but sooner or later they all crap out I'm tired of the flakiness/ repair bills/the little prayer I say every time I switch it on. I thought I couldn't replace it until now!!!
I noticed the (subtle!) differences in tests 5,8 and 9 that gave it away - but you would have to know the OB8 very well to distinguish the software from the hardware. I'm not surprised more than half picked your patches over the OB8 - I doubt I would know the difference if they were in a mix and not played as solo patches.

Seriously, fantastic work.
Man, software synths have really come a long way! I think it's reached a point where what's left are some quirks in classic synths that can never be emulated properly for many reasons...but at what cost is it better to hang on to the gear? That's a rhetorical question lol - if you live in Tokyo and want an OB8 pm me
thanks mate! thats cool you live in Tokyo seems like an awesome place...Im a bit far away in London...I did sell my OB8 - for the reasons you are thinking about...I would also sell it quick before the Behringer effect kicks in...Diva does a great job...there are differences but, having a ton of my own presets in Diva now is very compelling and quick to work with...
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Forum Jump
Forum Jump