The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

The Roland Juno-106 is relatively simple in terms of its synthesis architecture. Nevertheless, the Juno-106 is still quite popular among musicians and producers due to the fast sound creation workflow of the hands on interface and its ability to produce rich basses, pads, PWM [ Pulse Width Modulation ] sounds and other distinct and desirable analog tones. The central tone-generating component of the instrument is a set of 6 digitally controlled oscillators capable of producing sawtooth and square/pulse waveforms. The Juno is well known for its -24 dB/octave analog lowpass filter with adjustable resonance, which has been said to provide the Juno 106 with its distinctive rich sound, when combined with the tone of the MC5534 wave generation modules. The instrument's VCA can be switched between simple note gating or envelope-controlled loudness with a switch. The same envelope can also modulate the filter's cutoff frequency, in normal or inverted polarity. The filter cutoff can also track the keyboard to allow high harmonics to be heard on higher-pitched notes.

Discussions

Roland System 8

performance patches are the most interesting to hear. i guess you aren't releasing the performance patches as everyone would need to have the same patches loaded into the same patch locations as you for them to work?

View Post

The UB-Xa Synthesizer

Nick actually said it was very well built and that the faders on his Roland Juno 106 were much wobblier. Nothing on the DeepMind feels cheaper or flimsier than anything on my Kurzweil, Korg or Roland gear.

View Post

Early-Late 80s/Early 90s sounds on a budget

For me, it's a mixture of everything. I like idea of having something to record rather than load up in a DAW and click a few notes in but yeah I wouldn't buy something just because it's a hardware synth and cheap, rather if it sounded good also, like you said.

View Post

Video Guides