The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced

Description

Billed as the next in line to the Roland "LA" synthesis crown, the D70 is an odd keyboard. It actually has more in common with the U-20/220 series ROMplers than with the D-50/550, which it was "kind-of meant" to replace. In fact, if you open it up, you''ll find the circuit boards are labelled "U50". Unfortunately, the D70 / U50 was rushed into production, to compete with the likes of the Korg M1 and T1/T2/T3ex series machines. The D-70 has a sample playback engine married to D50 style TVF filters, together with on-board effects, and a percussion soundset. The filters are resonant, and add some much needed "welly". This is the D-70's redeeming feature, because the filters are actually pretty damn good. It's a shame that (to this reviewer's knowledge) it doesn't seem possible to filter the drum samples though. Performance wise, the D70 has a good quality 76 note keyboard in a sleek housing, and given its size, it's remarkably light. It is equipped with a large LCD display, to the left of which are 4 assignable faders. There is a fifth controller fader, labelled "C1" just above the pitch bender, in between the volume and brightness (filter cutoff) faders. The faders can be assigned in real-time to the following parameters: Level, Pan, Tuning, Cutoff, Resonance, Attack, and Release, using the keypad to the left of fader 1. The four faders equate to the four tones that can be used to make up a patch, rather like the D50's "upper / lower partials" although the more tones you apply, the lower the polyphony. This gives the performer real-time tweakability for doing filter sweeps, changing the relative levels of tones (for drawbar-style effects), etc. As an added bonus, the faders send MIDI data

Discussions

Guess the synth game #21

As usual, all ten audio examples come from the same synth. Choices: Korg Wavestation EX Roland D-70 Ensoniq MR61 Roland JD-800 with cards Roland JX-1

View Post

LFO - Frequencies LP

..."so we go to FON studios in Sheffield and have a mess about on their stuff. They've got a D70 there." The duo used a more recent FON acquisition, a Roland JD800, on the remix of `We Are Back'. "We're probably one of the first to use it on a dance record", observes Bell with a...

View Post

Have an old synth i need to connect, help needed

I'v used the midi-ox program to send the d70_orig.syx file back to d70. Went to bulk load all memmory from midi, that process completed, bit when i reboot the synth the factory patches are still not there. Maybe i'm doing something wrong i don't know...

View Post

Reviews

Nobody has reviewed this product yet. Have an opinion?