The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
KAM / KAMRAN RT1 mic capsule (in EV 664 body)

KAM / KAMRAN RT1 mic capsule (in EV 664 body)

4 4 out of 5, based on 1 Review

KAM makes a mic capsule, the RT1, that they sell on eBay for $30. I used one to replace the capsule/element in an old EV 664. I'm very happy with the results.

19th March 2015

KAM / KAMRAN RT1 mic capsule (in EV 664 body) by Keith Cary

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features N/A
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 3

I have several old EV 664 mic bodies with blown elements. (Wires broken to voice coil, etc. Truly blown.) I have affection for the shape and history. I also have several working 664s and a 665. They vary a lot in sound, from mid-rangy to warm and usable. They were made over many, many years. -- Recently I discovered that a new company, KAM, is selling capsules for their RT1 mics on eBay for $30, plus a few dollars shipping. The size was about right to fit in a 664 body so I decided to give it a try. It arrived in a few days, very nicely packed in a dense block of black foam. The capsule is a little smaller in diameter than the 664s opening so I wrapped two bands of the packing foam around it, being careful to leave the side port open to preserve its cardioid pattern. The side port of the capsule lines up well with the side ports of the 664. The element is about 1/4" too long for the body, because of the long tubular port on the inside of the body. I used my Dremel tool with a tiny saw blade to remove about 1/4" of that internal tubular structure. Next time I'll use a 1/2" drill bit to do the same. -- While I was at it I also converted the 664 to an XLR connection by drilling out the old Amphenol connector with a 9/16" drill and grinding in a slot for the XLR male connector. Installing the element took about 30 or 40 minutes. Converting the connector took an hour. --- Important: this element does not need a transformer. --- I'm very happy with the sound, especially for low frequency use, like kick drum and bass. It might be a little too warm up high but it has great low frequency punch, much more than the 57 I compared it too. Feedback rejection was excellent. Be careful to not cover the side port. --- Keith

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... KAM / KAMRAN RT1 mic capsule (in EV 664 body)
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search