The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 16 with LT-USB

Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 16 with LT-TB

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

The Lynx Aurora 16 is a 1-unit 16 channel "mastering grade" converter unit.

6th March 2015

Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 16 with LT-TB by LittleDev

• Sound Quality 4 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 16 with LT-USB

Hello people!

Just recently I had a change of conversion in mind purely for practical purposes. I was running an Apogee AD16x + DA16x with a HD3 hackintosh rig. It worked well! But was spread across 2 road cases for a total of 9 rack units... it was big and heavy.

So, I began the hunt prior to moving hackintosh from a HUGE 3u Antec case to a small 2u case and flipping the HD3 cards altogether. The 3 contenders that I had in front of me were an SSL alpha link AX with matching Maditreme 64 card, the Apogee 16x converters & a Lynx Aurora 16 with LT-USB card.

Lets start with the sound. I love the Apogee 16x series. Love it! It has this slightly fuller, thicker midrange thing going on that is very rock and roll. The SSL's on the other hand were very clean sounding and had a really nice depth to them. Reverb just sounded a little different compared to the Apogee's. Deeper and more natural. Unfortunately the Aurora 16 was a little bit disappointing to me. I actually thought it sounds the worst out of the three, but certainly by no means "bad". It kind of sits in the middle of the Apogee's with a bit of shine to the sound, and the SSL's.

Function-wise - The Aurora is a piece of cake to use. The software mixer worked the first time and it has been stable as hell! The SSL's were a little fiddly to get working but once they were up they kept on rocking. The drivers/software for them is pretty rubbish compared to the Aurora though. The Apogee's were connected using X-HD cards so were refined to Avid/Digidesign core audio drivers. They do the trick just nicely, and are pretty rock solid.

Feature-wise - This is where the Lynx Aurora's come into their own. I ultimately purchased the Aurora 16 for my rig because it is compact at just 1 rack unit, it offers AES I/O as well as analogue and it also has a much wider range of expansion cards than the Apogee's, and certainly the SSL's. ADAT/USB/HD/TB/FW... Yes please! At this point in time I am using the LT-USB, but am pondering either heading to a LT-HD card or LT-TB card depending on the hackintosh I build.

All in all, I am happy with it. It would have been terrific if the SSL came with similar expansion options as I really loved the sound. The Apogee's a nice but are a bit limited in expansion and size (same I/O as lynx... but need 3 rack spaces for ventilation).

Give 'em a spin if you get a chance!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Lynx Studio Technology Aurora 16 with LT-USB
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search