The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Kush Audio Tweaker

Kush Audio Tweaker

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

Tweaker is an old soul with a post-modern brain. Its vintage, discrete VCA and bespoke detector are married to envelope-pushing controls that allow this box to be whatever you want it to be — smooth & polished or dark & filthy, subtle & delicate or fierce & explosive.

17th February 2015

Kush Audio Tweaker by TheDawg

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 4 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Kush Audio Tweaker

I've had my Tweaker for about a week now and really put it through its paces in that time. I can tell you that this is by far the best addition to my studio of any single piece of gear I've ever bought. I don't say that lightly because I have other much more expensive compressor's in my inventory. But this Tweaker is really special and here's just a few reasons why:

DRIVE
My favorite knob on the Tweaker is the Drive knob! The saturation is incredibly rich, warm, and just overall amazing. I described it to a friend as being in the vein of a Decapitator, only its analog and way better! You will find yourself playing with this knob the most and when you find that sweet spot, it's like losing your virginity on prom night. We all remember how great that feeling was right? ok.

SIDECHAIN SHAPER
My next favorite knob is the Sidechain Shaper knob! The genius in the design of this box, unlike anything else created, is that you can pick what the detector "see's", and therefore reacts too. This really allows you to not only compress but to really shape and further design your sound going through the box.

FAST/DUAL RELEASE
Switching between these two release options, all other settings the same, will completely change the sound! The Fast/Dual Release option just further allows for more sound shaping and adds to the flexibility/versatility of this box.

For me, those three knobs/sections is the heart of this box and allows it to do some of the amazing things it does, like mimic an API 2500, LA-2a, Dynamite, Analog Tape with the "Analog Presets" Kush Audio provides. Of course, I did my own listening tests to see if these claims had any merit and I found out they did! This box is incredible and, as you can probably tell from reading this, it has me excited at all of possibility it offers.

Ok, so I am raving about the Tweaker and you're probably waiting for the "other foot to drop" about what's "bad" about this box. Nothing is bad about it, it sounds fantastic, has stepped pots for easy recall and analog presets, box stays cool when powered on for long periods of time, but there IS a learning curve to it!

Although the Tweaker has stepped pots for every knob, none of them are labeled with any numbers to tell you how much attack, drive, threshold, you are applying. If you're the super-technical type (i.e. having to look at numbers to apply compression settings) then you'll most likely struggle to learn this box. However, I think what Gregory did in creating the Tweaker this way is that it FORCES you to LISTEN to what the box is doing to the sound and not just look for numbers to dial up. I think this really reinforces the design philosophy of the Tweaker in that its meant to be listened too and to shape your sound in these vast ways. Metering falls into this same system where nothing is marked on the Tweaker to know exactly how much input, output, compression is happening. You just have to listen and the LED helps to guide you along in the process.

The Tweaker, as the word spreads amongst the mainstream engineer base, will soon become a highly sought after addition to studios. It is a modern day classic and I think people will see and agree soon enough. It's sound quality, features, and bang for the buck are all top notch! BUT buyer beware, you really have to commit yourself to learning the Tweaker to really reap the full benefits of what it can, and will, do for you, your music, and your mixes.

29th June 2018

Kush Audio Tweaker by RPRM

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 3 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Kush Audio Tweaker

It's so rare than any piece of equipment with a broad feature set can actually be good at more than one thing. The Tweaker is an outstanding example of practical application of several different approaches to compression.

I've had a pair of them for almost two years now and have tried them on just about every source. It took me a long time to get the results I wanted, but once you figure out how to use the Tweaker you may find yourself selling some of your other one trick pony compressors.

The wide range of compression ratio, attack and release times combined with the slow/fast release button AND the drive knob, wet/dry blend + side chain shaper really give you the option to get precisely the compression you want.

Thankfully the metering is extremely helpful. Just be ready to read the manual and do some listening and 'tweaking' to figure out what these things can do.

I'd say the tone is more on the Distressor side - it's got that solid state sound, since I don't think there are any tubes or transformers inside. If you want that kind of saturation you'll need to add it elsewhere in the chain. But the drive knob does get some unique tones while preserving the transients. Can range from invisible to savage.

Overall I can't live without the Tweakers for their flexibility and precise compression - they really help you hone in on what you want to control. Useful during both tracking and mixing. It really is like having several compressors in one.

You could spend your money buying a compressor designed 60 years ago, or add something new, unique and forward thinking. Plus I've had great support from the crew over at Kush Audio. Occasionally I run the Tweaker in series with something tubey or transformer rich and it's a great best of all worlds signal chain. Try it and see!

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Kush Audio Tweaker
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search