The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mojave Audio MA-301 fet

Mojave Audio MA-301fet

5 5 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

A superb modern microphone that would grace any studio, home or professional.

8th February 2015

Mojave Audio MA-301fet by AndyHowell

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Mojave Audio MA-301 fet

I had not heard of Mojave Microphones before I set out on the search for a new vocal mic a few months ago. A couple of engineers suggested I look at these as they had a reputation for being good with baritone/male vocals.

Initially, I looked at the 300 valve mic. I liked the multi options of the 300 series. I prefer cardioid setup and an omni setting for vocals.

As I explored more the 301 came into view. Although this doesn't have as many reviews on the net (being a newer product) it was clearly rated as very good. I wasn't sure about the valve sound and (for the moment) decided to stick with the 301 fet.

The 301 comes in it own aluminium case. Inside is a strong foam insert that houses both the mic and a shock mount. The shock mount is very solid, metal rather than plastic and uses a heavy duty bungee chord.

The mic itself is equally solid if not over heavy. On the front is a simple switch to move between cardioid, omni and figure of 8 settings. On the rear are two more switches; a -15db pad and a hi pass filter for dealing with low rumble.

So, how does the mic sound?

The mic sounds to my ears wonderfully neutral and natural. Output is good and white noise not a problem. The mic deals with sharp transients very well and I've not had to use a pop filter with it.

While the mic has been used primarily for vocals I have tested it on acoustic guitar and this sounds equally good. I suspect a stereo recording using two 301s would be very classy.

I've seen this mic regularly compared (favourably) to the U87 and while I can't comment on this directly I can see that this mic would serve any studio well.

For the home studio (such as mine) this mic probably represents a significant step up in quality and price. Yet, the 301 represents fabulous value for money. David Royer and his team seem to have cracked Chinese manufacture.

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this mic.

3 weeks ago

Mojave Audio MA-301fet by chazmuz

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Mojave Audio MA-301 fet

Just chiming in on the Mojave Audio MA 301. Here lately, this mic can do no wrong.

Now, I'm a project studio guy with limited experience in a big studio with super budget mics, but I do work with a lot of local folks in different genres, tracking all sorts of instruments. Although I've had limited experience with high end gear, I do have a very nice mic cabinet and a few high-end pres that I can relate to - Neve 1073 (AMS), API 3124+, Audient, AEA, BLA, JoeMeek, & a couple of cheaper ones.

The MA 301 is super clean, but 3-dimensional with a depth to it that far surpasses some of my other medium-grade mics. I've been primarily running the MA 301 through my 6176 with excellent results. Depending upon the source, I may have to tweak the pre & comp on the 6176, but so far I've gotten soem amazing tracks from this mic. Whether tracking a guitar cab, harmonica, horns, acoustic guitar - finger picked / strummed / slide, percussion or vocals, this mic is a workhorse.

One of my studio clients is a former Nashville guy who moved back home & changed musical direction, opting for more of a pop sound. The guy has amazing vocal chops. He often tracks much of his music on his laptop and brings his tracks for me to mix and polish in Pro Tools. All in all, his songs are good, his arrangements are money, and his instrument mixes are pretty dense. Despite his sometimes busy pop arrangements with EDM / full snyth-based textures, I was able to get some amazing vocal cuts that sit in the mix amazingly well - probably the best vocal cuts I've ever gotten with a client.

Just last night I used the MA 301 to cut a harmonica player for a country track, knowing we wanted a clean sound and not a dirty, blues harp. The sound was freakin' awesome, and everyone was super happy with the track.

I tend to buy things in pairs if possible, and I would have no problem purchasing another MA 301. This mic is definitely a superb sounding utility type mic, although sometimes I don't like the term 'utility', as it sounds too 'typical'. This mic is far from 'typical'. If you're looking for a LDC with multi-patterns that offers a very clean yet 3-D sound, give this one serious consideration.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Mojave Audio MA-301 fet
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search