The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Headstrong Lil King Reverb

Headstrong Lil King Reverb

5 5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Blackface Princeton Reverb Circuit

24th November 2014

Headstrong Lil King Reverb by litepipe

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5

I got the Lil King Reverb after trying on in a NYC rehearsal studio. I immediately fell in love with it. I was searching for something a low wattage for playing around town and for recording. This amp is 12watts with a 12" speaker.

The amp is a dead on AA1164 circuit. There are 12Ax7 preamp tubes, 6V6 power amp tubes and a 5U4GB rectifier.

The cabinet is solid pine. The only thing that differs from a stock '64 Princeton is the 12' speaker and an added pot to adjust the bias.

The amp comes with a two button foot-switch for reverb and tremolo. There is plenty of cable to run the pedal out front. the power cable is also long. It's the small things that count sometimes.

The sound of this amp is fantastic. It's as if you are transported back in time to play a brand new Blackface Princeton. It's warm but with some of that era's sparkle.

The build is top notch. Ive been gigging with it for a few weeks and must say I'm impressed. It makes a difference buying a hand built amp.

I chose the Lil King over a vintage amp because I like that it's ready to go on arrival. A vintage amp offers requires some servicing before it's up to spec. This usually ends up costing almost as much a a boutique amp.

I was initially concerned about it not having enough volume. This s a loud amp! I haven't been in a situation where it hasn't been loud enough yet. For me, I like to push the amp so it breaks up. The Lil King starts getting some hair on 4.

It's also been great for recoding. It's at the right volume to track nice cleans in a home studio and not rattle everything off the shelves. High Wattage amps tend to go from 0-blast off on 2. I can open this amp up so it doesn't sound choked and preserve my relationship with neighbors.

Wayne who owns the company is very approachable. Anther advantage buying from a small company.

The reverb and rem circuit are pretty dead on in the amp too. That's something that a lot of companies that copy the blackface circuit don't get right.

I'm stoked about this thing. I have a lot of amps. This one has been getting a lot of action. it helps that it's so light. Especially in NYC.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Headstrong Lil King Reverb
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search