The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A-designs EM-EQ2

A-Designs Audio EM-EQ2

4.5 4.5 out of 5, based on 1 Review

Dual Mono EQ - Pultec Clone 4 ½ Star Review (no hyperbole)

25th August 2014

A-Designs Audio EM-EQ2 by Edmond Dantes

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
A-designs EM-EQ2

A-Designs EM-EQ2 Rackmount
(not the hammer)

I have quite a few hardware EQ's but I really wanted to get a Pultec styled unit, for that is what this is. 2 channel unit being the large bonus cost wise.

Sound wise:

The 12k on this box is money. 3-6db for a subtle hi-end clarity. One of the most tasteful 12k's I have heard. I doubt you will move the hi-band freq knob much. The 5K would most likely be the only other freq I would use in the high.

The second best frequency of the unit is the 100 hz on the bass. The Q Knob gets wide quite quickly. 2-3 db is plenty on this unit. A warm sounding bass. It can get foggy fast if pushed.

Quality wise:

The EQ exists directly atop the sound source.
Where as you might hear a cheaper EQ that offers the illusion of EQ'ing space to the left or right (panorama wise) or one that sits atop a source (as if you hear the EQ + the original as two separate entities). This gives it a very tight sound, musical and clear - undistorted. Un-phasey, directed tight - you don't hear where the EQ exists until your crank that gain knob.

Very well made build wise. Metal knobs, metal switches.

Conclusion:
*I find it tasteful for 2 Bus Duty when I need a 12K taste that doesn't draw too much attention to itself.

*Excellent/Tasteful with the stereo field - doesn't narrow nor widen

*More often than not I don't use the bass band and if I do its 100 at 2-3DB.

*Too imprecise to use as a EQ carving box, use the attenuation to dial your boosts in.

*This is a box meant to boost frequencies be sure you know that

*A sort of one trick pony compared to variable band Equalizers, and that is the only reason I give it 4*. If you are looking for something to maximize your investment in this price range this isn't the box. If you know you want the Pultec EQ style this is your best bet for this price

Last edited by Edmond Dantes; 25th August 2014 at 08:39 PM.. Reason: Added Ease of Use Per Mod Request

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... A-designs EM-EQ2
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search