The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Amphion One18

Amphion One18 - Pair

4.95 4.95 out of 5, based on 4 Reviews

2-way studio monitors with passive radiator.

18th August 2014

Amphion One18 - Pair by rhino666

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Amphion One18

It takes some time to get used to the unhyped sound of Amphion's One18, but once you adapt to their language, you get rewarded with a very clean, fast speaker with a deep sound and a very strong centre-image, which reveals subtle nuances in a mix in a very relaxed manner.

I spent the last week with testing One18's together with a matched amp (a prototype, also from Amphion).
Honestly, it took me quite a while to learn and appreciate their sound.
I was used to speakers with a hyped midrange, with a sound which is kinda "jumping at you", accentuated high mids
and an overall forward sound.

Opposed to that the One 18's behave very reserved, they are more like gentleman who do not need to impress anyone.
Now, after I got more used to their "language", I can say the longer I work with them, the more I like what I hear -

They are incredibly clean sounding, with a very fast transient response and where other speakers are just distorting,
they reveal the reason for it. They also have a truly impressive 3D image with great centre, they sound soft and musical,
while not hiding problems in the mix. With them I can hear for example rooms extremely well and they are so clean,
that I recognize the different colours of different eq's much better than with my other speakers.

When mixing they lead me quite elegant to a "less is more" approach. I found that I leave more signals untouched,
because the speakers are revealing how fast micro dynamics are destroyed, or signals are degraded, so I'm definitely much more careful
when using eq and compression. So there is a good chance that they will teach me to become a better mixer.

The only thing I would wish is a tiny little bit more midrange level, but Anssi wrote me that the next generation of One18’s, which has just been
launched, will do exactly that!

Of course also the amp plays an important role. I tried the One 18's with my 25 years old audiophile amp from GB (Lecson Stereo)
which introduced a bit more distortion than the Amphion-amp, but still it was miles ahead my old monitors, which now sound like distorted boom-boxes to me.

I shall add that Anssi from Amphion is extremely friendly and helpful, so it's also a pleasure to deal with them.

Last edited by Diogo C; 17th November 2015 at 11:47 PM.. Reason: Synopsis was too long so its added to the OP - it says "short" synopsis for a reason!

17th November 2015

Amphion One18 - Pair by rustyd100

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 5
Amphion One18

Ditto all points here. Amphions sounded tame after ears were used to Dynaudios. After 3 hours, their attributes become more obvious. They hype nothing. Space between notes reveal longer reverb tails. Imaging razor sharp. Very accurate bass. No bloating and much deeper than you might imagine. No subwoofer will be needed! For the first time, I can mix the lower octaves once and they sound right on other sources. Phase relationship from top to bottom is very steady and any latency from the passive radiator is unnoticeable, so bass sounds more up front than some other ported speakers. I can't imagine a better near field monitor!

I am driving these One18's with a Spectral DMA50 Type A amp...which is very fast and conveys every detail. Will look forward to trying other amps, too.

4 weeks ago

Amphion One18 - Pair by limbs

• Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 5 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 4 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Amphion One18

the amphion system (one18, amp100, cables) is one of the most expensive purchases I've ever made. I'm a broke composer and producer, and spent a few months salary on these. Needless to say, this wasn't an impulse buy - this was my musical future.

I've had them for almost a year, and it took awhile to get used to them. They don't have the bottom-shaking low end you may expect - in fact, they are more like NS-10's. However, listening to NS-10's is never fun - not the case with the Amphions. They are natural, non-electronic sounding, hyper-sensitive. The first few days I thought they were broken - in fact, they were just highlighting distortion I couldn't hear anywhere else.

The gear does not make the engineer. But these speakers have essentially made me a better engineer by allowing me a clearer window into the mix. I want to recommend these to anyone looking for honest speakers and have the money. Of course, I want to mention that anyone buying new monitors should, at the very least, pick up a few different pairs, and send the losers back. You don't lose any money as long as you send them back within the return window.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Amphion One18
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search