The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search Reviews   Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Pearlman Tm-47

Pearlman Microphones Tm-47

4.65 4.65 out of 5, based on 2 Reviews

The TM-47 is Pearlman's take on the vintage Neumann U47.

24th June 2014

Pearlman Microphones Tm-47 by brianellefson

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 3 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.5
Pearlman Tm-47

Recently bought this mic after trying a friend's TM-1. My first impression of it was great and it hasn't changed.

I've only used one vintage Neumann U47 and so I can't say for sure how close this mic resembles that one sonically, but it's a great mic nonetheless. There's a smoothness to the frequency response and the top end isn't too dull or too sibilant. So far all of the tracks I've recorded with it have taken compression and EQ really well. My own vocals now require the least amount of "massaging" to get them to sit in a mix.

I do wish the mic had an omni pattern, but since I'll primarily be using this on vocals that's not too big of a deal. However, I'd probably be inclined to use it as a room mic if it did have the omni option.

Overall, very happy with this mic. Just killer on vocals which makes it a good deal cost-wise.

EDIT: One very small thing I noticed - the Pearlman badge on the front of the mic isn't centered with the capsule. I'm not sure if it's off enough to make any difference at close range, but if for some reason I used it to record a source more than three feet away I know to use the left side point of the badge as the center when aiming it. And that's the only knock I have against this mic.

Last edited by brianellefson; 27th June 2014 at 05:31 PM.. Reason: added information

3 weeks ago

Pearlman Microphones Tm-47 by 9xSound

• Sound Quality 5 out of 5
  • Ease of use 5 out of 5
  • Features 4 out of 5
  • Bang for buck 5 out of 5
  • Overall: 4.75
Pearlman Tm-47

I bought a new Pearlman TM-47 and so far, I absolutely love it. I can't say whether it is the very best U47 clone that money can buy — I haven't tried them all and that kind of assessment would depend upon what you hear and want to hear in the TM-47 vis-a-vis what you would hear or want to hear in a brand new U47, which isn't possible. But the TM-47 is an excellent mic in its own right.

Where it really seems to shine is in its balance: from the bass and mids response to the high end, I barely have to EQ anything. It's been an exceptional addition to my mic closet and I've used it on nearly everything. As a cardioid, there aren't as many sonic options as other types of mics, but my main purpose for buying it was vocals. As a prudent buyer of high end gear, I try to spend my money only on what I really need, without wasting it paying more for extras that I don't.

The TM-47 has handled every studio application that I've given it like a champ: vocals, acoustic guitar, electric guitar, and bass guitar. Even as a room mic for my whole band. I wanted to cheer the way it has handled and tamed the bass in the band sessions. (You know those lead-fingered bassists!)

Acoustic guitars in particular, seem to like the TM-47, at least in my home studio. I set it up about 18 inches from the sound hole and whoa! Big, warm, airy, crisp mids and clear highs. What an acoustic guitar should sound like. A versatile mic and a great buy.

I have one gripe: the mic comes with no user manual. If you contact Pearlman, you'll get answers to all your questions, but for a mic costing over $2200, an owner's manual detailing care, maintenance, do's and don'ts, seems a given. No manual is a bit cavalier toward the buyers.

• Gear Database

• By Gearbot
Loading mentioned products ... Pearlman Tm-47
Review Tools
Search this Review
Search this Review:

Advanced Search